Skip to main content

Should you invest in Spend analysis efforts in these bad times?

This is a common question that I see people asking in the industry. The next question usually they ask - I already have my data in good shape - why should I pay for cleansing it.

My question to all these answers is - YOU DONT KNOW HOW IS YOUR DATA.

Why I say that? Because while I am playing with lot of enterprises data in last 5 years i come to know from interactions with customer or people who are maintaining the data this fact. Especially if there are multiple departments handling all kind of data and they dont have a cohesive mechanism to deal with the data as a single form of truth.

Now whatever be the reason for your company - its indeed true that data is not in a good shape that it should be.

How it effects - you dont have visibility towards your spend properly / by commodities / by supplier groups / by geographies or by negotiating power that you are carrying and last one is risk that you are maintaining.

To get this visbility you need a dashboard which gives you analysis power. To get a dahsboard you need data standardized, normalized and enriched classified so dahsboard shows correct reports.

To get normalization, classification task done you need a process or product or provider who provides these services rather than bulding any of these at your end. An here the debate starts - who, how much and when, what ?

I start my day by looking at lot of web posts, blogs and news where people tell you horrible stories about hard days, saving money tips and spend analysis, innvovations in sourcing, optimization and what not. Everybody is telling you that you need to analyze your spend and how one product is good than other product to do this. Here are my two cents -

First - Its your spend and your sourcing data. So there is no readymade packaged tool or product that understands your data end to end. So whoever is saying its fully automated solution is telling a lie. What you need to buy is a packaged process - whether its a driven by a expert team or driven by a software tool. The process is more important.

How do you decide that one process is better that other process for classification? there are few parameters to decide. Most important is how that process looks at your data. I will try to eplain this more in next 2 days.

You can post your comments questions here or mail me on pmendki(at)gmail(dot)com

- Prashant Mendki

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Master Data Management – Product or Process ?

I have 2 SAP systems and I want to fix my material master, Services Master. I want all that data to be clean, standardized, classified, enriched and load it back to my SAP in next 6 months. What do you suggest ? Chris - one of my key client was explaining during a “solution understanding” call. My sales manager Tom, enthusiastically started talking about new version of the MDM platform by ERP company, tools, technologies, product landscape, licenses etc. After 30 minutes of sales pitch, I could see confusion on Chris’s face clearly. He said - but I don’t want to add any new product in my infrastructure for all this. Can you just implement MDM for me without I adding any new software ?   Both are using MDM implementation as a keyword, but in a completely different context. Chris wants to implement MDM as a process while Tom was trying to sell MDM as a new software. Whats the difference ? Lot I will say. MDM as a product – when you sell a   software license to a customer

Journey of procurement transformation begins with..….. Part II

 Original Blog post - https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/journey-procurement-transformation-begins-part-ii-prashant-mendki Procurement transformation journey is complex, cross functional, time consuming and even frustrating at times. The very basic but a strategic step to start this journey is “Spend Analysis”. Again – this has to be done in a right way to get the potential benefits. We talked about that in first part of this article https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/journey-procurement-transformation-begins-part-i-prashant-mendki By definition – Spend Analysis is an analysis of your spend (invoice paid), what items you are spending on (product), who you are paying to (supplier). It looks really simple – no? When I worked with one of the large Media Entertainment company few years back, they had thousands of suppliers, millions of transactions, good amount of Maverick spend. It’s a global business with more than $2Bn in Spend, 12 different global systems. Thousands of transacti

Everything you want to Know about Supplier Diversity

Last month I have written an article on supplier diversity titled Supplier Diversity have you checked your Supplier base? it gathered lot of interest among industry players in the topic. So I thought of having a one comprehensive article to cover all aspects of Supplier Diversity, what is it, its importance in supply chain etc is. So here are my 2 cents – So what’s the definition of Supplier Diversity worldwide? In the United States of America diversity suppliers are defined as businesses that are at least 51 percent owned, operated and controlled by one or more persons who are: • A racial or ethnic minority, including African American, Asian Indian American, Asian Pacific American, Hispanic American and Native American • Female • Gay, lesbian, bi-sexual or transgender • U.S. veteran or U.S. service disabled veteran Additionally, businesses certified as Small Disadvantaged Business (SDB) or Historically Underutilized Business Zone (HUB Zone) by the U.S. Small Business Administration