Skip to main content

This is the time look at your data, your Spend Data

Hello Everybody. I was missing the action on this blog since around 4 months now. Actually I was too busy with new data management engagement in my new role. As its a vacation season, its time to gather thoughts and share it..... Hope I will continue...

As the title of this blog says "its a time to look at your data, spend data". YES, as everybody is hard pressed for cash in the difficult time like this - where to look for it? I have one answer - Look at your own transactions to see if you can save some there. Lets check what are you spending on, categorise your spend well.Check if you know where you can negotiate with your vendors and go for it. You will amaze to see how you have ignored this point in the past and how much you can save by doing this. My experience tells me that you can get benefit of atleast 5 to 7 % of savings by doing this activity.

Wondering how - Keep reading ....

Lets make it simple. You have repository of suppliers, and lots of transactions for those suppliers in your system. Right? Now what you need to do is - extract all that information, cleanup your suppliers data for names, address, parent linkages and other things. So you get actual number of vendors you are negotiating with - a non duplicated and neat database. Now look at your transactions. Using your own MRP data, chart of accounts and other available text information, you need to categorize all these transactions. E.g if you have spent 5$ on say ball point pen you should get it under hierarchy like - writing instruments -pen pencils - pen - ball point pen. You can use widely used schema like UNSPSC, or if you have one or one available in the market by leading data management companies.

Now you need a really good dashboard solution, where you upload this cleansed, normalized and classified data. This way you can slice, dice, put graphs and check what is you are spending on, to whom you are paying, how much and where you can negotiate well to save more .......

So you have data - but till the time you do something to convert it to INFORMATION its of no use. This is the process to convert that to useful information, give you a way to see - slice dice visualize your data to help you better understand it so you can take right decision at right time.

Who provides these solution? - I work for Supply chain management company called bristlecone Inc (http://www.bcone.com) and we provide this service partnering with SAP. I am naturally biased - but even if I am not - I will say its a good industry solution and service to go for comparing with other players in the market.

How much it may cost you? depends on what and how much data you might have. But certainly you will get more than 5% of saving on your spend after doing this at the cost of less that 1% - So 4% is all yours.

Whom should you contact - write me - pmendki@gmail.com or just reply to this post and I will get back to you.

Comments

  1. Dear Prashant Mendki,

    I had the opportunity to go through your article, I endorse with you.

    I do work on it round the year basis of Tagging Materials from various Domains on to UNSPSC Codes & then mapping them with various other International Codes likes HTS & ECCN or EAR-99 [for US],NIC[Indian], SITC,CAS, CCL /BIS etc.

    Then collating the data with all its Attributes / Criteria s, for various purposes including Vendor Inventory, Procurement-Management, & Spend Analysis.

    This helps corporates in handling their Spend Managements accordingly.

    U M PRABHU.
    umprabhu@consultant.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am tackling the establishment of a data taxonomy for our enterprise (the Naval Oceanography Program) which consists of several production centers, multi-discipline data and products. It is unclear to me in what context to develop the taxonomy. In reading best practices there are a number of approaches. This taxonomy will be inserted into our Enterprise Architecture and should provide meaningful information to both upper management for resource allocation, to me and other I.T. personnel for Information Lifecycle Management, and to the end-user, for knowing what is available and what it is used for. I have been asked to look at it from a product standpoint and a data standpoint. I have also been asked to start at top and bottom levels to find the commonality in between. A taxonomy should be as flat and simple as possible otherwise, in my mind, it is not very useful and too cumbersome to look at. Any ideas on where to jump off at? thanks Tracy
    tpsciencegal@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Prashant,

    Currently I am working on Spend analysis, I do have knowledge of various taxonomy like UNSPSC, eClass. However i have knowledge of MDM. Its very nice way to optimise company cost as well as maintain inventory

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Master Data Management – Product or Process ?

I have 2 SAP systems and I want to fix my material master, Services Master. I want all that data to be clean, standardized, classified, enriched and load it back to my SAP in next 6 months. What do you suggest ? Chris - one of my key client was explaining during a “solution understanding” call. My sales manager Tom, enthusiastically started talking about new version of the MDM platform by ERP company, tools, technologies, product landscape, licenses etc. After 30 minutes of sales pitch, I could see confusion on Chris’s face clearly. He said - but I don’t want to add any new product in my infrastructure for all this. Can you just implement MDM for me without I adding any new software ?   Both are using MDM implementation as a keyword, but in a completely different context. Chris wants to implement MDM as a process while Tom was trying to sell MDM as a new software. Whats the difference ? Lot I will say. MDM as a product – when you sell a   software license to a customer

Journey of procurement transformation begins with..….. Part II

 Original Blog post - https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/journey-procurement-transformation-begins-part-ii-prashant-mendki Procurement transformation journey is complex, cross functional, time consuming and even frustrating at times. The very basic but a strategic step to start this journey is “Spend Analysis”. Again – this has to be done in a right way to get the potential benefits. We talked about that in first part of this article https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/journey-procurement-transformation-begins-part-i-prashant-mendki By definition – Spend Analysis is an analysis of your spend (invoice paid), what items you are spending on (product), who you are paying to (supplier). It looks really simple – no? When I worked with one of the large Media Entertainment company few years back, they had thousands of suppliers, millions of transactions, good amount of Maverick spend. It’s a global business with more than $2Bn in Spend, 12 different global systems. Thousands of transacti

Who in Supplier diversity program - An interesting Aspect

Last week after I posted third part of my Supplier diversity series of - What Why and How, I got an question from my esteemed senior colleague Ashok Pai, Who works in Supply chain industry worldwide for decades and a Client Partner with Bristlecone, asking "When are you writing about WHO aspect of this?" I replied saying I never thought of that angle, as my basic assumption was that supplier onboarding process is part of strategic sourcing and procurement department chain so those are the people who will be implementing it. And then he mentioned to me that "Look at it from supplier onboarding angle, which is a major pain area for US industry". As I started thinking and researching from that angle, I realized that as a part of diversity implementation its easy to say that run the diversity program in industry, capture supplier attendtion, get the diverse suppliers registered and start doing business with them - its hard to implement. Its really hard to get a new su