Skip to main content

What does taxonomies means to me in doing my spend analysis?

In last 10 days, after I wrote an article on spend analysis, supplier normalization and classification using taxonomies, I got number of responses on how to create a taxonomy, how to use it, what it should contain etc. I am responding everybody one on one, but thought I will also write some generalistic thoughts that will help somebody to get good idea to start with... So here it is -

What is taxonomy? If you look at the dictionary, it says taxonomy means"the science or technique of classification". Wikipedia gives much broader information about it - "Taxonomies, or taxonomic schemes, are composed of taxonomic units known as taxa (singular taxon), or kinds of things that are arranged frequently in a hierarchical structure. Typically they are related by subtype-supertype relationships, also called parent-child relationships. In such a subtype-supertype relationship the subtype kind of thing has by definition the same constraints as the supertype kind of thing plus one or more additional constraints. For example, car is a subtype of vehicle. So any car is also a vehicle, but not every vehicle is a car. Therefore, a thing needs to satisfy more constraints to be a car than to be a vehicle."

So now we know basics - its a hierarchical structure, with a description at each level. So if I create a taxonomy of say 5 levels, then my level 1 would be high level description of the thing and my 5th level would provide me required granularity.

If you talk to technical guy, one would say its a flat table structure for me - which is a schema - yes he is correct. There are different terms you can use to understand this - Taxonomy, Schema, Classification hierarchy.....

Why do I need taxonomy? Ok. So you can classify your spend data correctly upto granular level, so you know what you are spend on, how much, to whom and whether there is any scope for savings or negotiations.

Does your ERP system not taking care of it? - not at the level where you may want it. So you may have text description, category details for each transactions in your PO and invoices - I agree - but does it tells you that in all - you are spending $120,000 in office supplies - and in that $20,000 on writing instruments in that $10,000 on ball pens? This is 3 level taxonomy for you. So now you know 10K on ball pens - does your system tells you which department or businee unit is actually getting those - on the same dashboard? So now if taxonomy is linked with your chart of accounts, material data or organizational structures, you can get a better view of your own data and then you can actually think about making sourcing your focus to save more. Your ERP is capable of maintaining the data, and we are talking about information. They are different.

I have so many transactions, is it possible to create a taxonomy that covers all transactions? - Yes and No. Yes, its a one time big effort and then you can keep on appending it whenever you want to introduce a new level or new category in that.
No - because if you have vendors with whom you only spend say $5000 in a year - you may want to skip them as that might be non negotiable. Basically depending on size and spend in your organization you may want to decide on $ slab where you want to actually look for savings and catch the low hanging fruits first.

Do I really need to create a taxonomy or I can just buy one - You can create or you can buy. There are organizations like UNSPSC, or You can go with International Codes likes HTS & ECCN or EAR-99 [for US],NIC[Indian], SITC,CAS, CCL /BIS etc.
Generating own taxonomy is a time consuming efforts, but that might also give you your information in your own interpretation rather than somebody else.

To create own taxonomy - decide following things - your coding structure - length, numbers, series and standardized description for each level. Spend more time on this as its going to play a key role when you try to expand or change the taxonomy.

So whats the result - you got all your supplier data normalized (I am sure I will write an article on that too), you got spend data extracted and created a hierarchical structure to classify it. Boom. What you need next is dashboard to look at the data - lets talk about it sometime this week.

You can send me an email on pmendki@gmail.com - if you are looking for more information or help on understanding, building taxonomies, I surely will.

Thanks guys for your patience in reading this.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Master Data Management – Product or Process ?

I have 2 SAP systems and I want to fix my material master, Services Master. I want all that data to be clean, standardized, classified, enriched and load it back to my SAP in next 6 months. What do you suggest ? Chris - one of my key client was explaining during a “solution understanding” call. My sales manager Tom, enthusiastically started talking about new version of the MDM platform by ERP company, tools, technologies, product landscape, licenses etc. After 30 minutes of sales pitch, I could see confusion on Chris’s face clearly. He said - but I don’t want to add any new product in my infrastructure for all this. Can you just implement MDM for me without I adding any new software ?   Both are using MDM implementation as a keyword, but in a completely different context. Chris wants to implement MDM as a process while Tom was trying to sell MDM as a new software. Whats the difference ? Lot I will say. MDM as a product – when you sell a   software license to a customer

Journey of procurement transformation begins with..….. Part II

 Original Blog post - https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/journey-procurement-transformation-begins-part-ii-prashant-mendki Procurement transformation journey is complex, cross functional, time consuming and even frustrating at times. The very basic but a strategic step to start this journey is “Spend Analysis”. Again – this has to be done in a right way to get the potential benefits. We talked about that in first part of this article https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/journey-procurement-transformation-begins-part-i-prashant-mendki By definition – Spend Analysis is an analysis of your spend (invoice paid), what items you are spending on (product), who you are paying to (supplier). It looks really simple – no? When I worked with one of the large Media Entertainment company few years back, they had thousands of suppliers, millions of transactions, good amount of Maverick spend. It’s a global business with more than $2Bn in Spend, 12 different global systems. Thousands of transacti

Who in Supplier diversity program - An interesting Aspect

Last week after I posted third part of my Supplier diversity series of - What Why and How, I got an question from my esteemed senior colleague Ashok Pai, Who works in Supply chain industry worldwide for decades and a Client Partner with Bristlecone, asking "When are you writing about WHO aspect of this?" I replied saying I never thought of that angle, as my basic assumption was that supplier onboarding process is part of strategic sourcing and procurement department chain so those are the people who will be implementing it. And then he mentioned to me that "Look at it from supplier onboarding angle, which is a major pain area for US industry". As I started thinking and researching from that angle, I realized that as a part of diversity implementation its easy to say that run the diversity program in industry, capture supplier attendtion, get the diverse suppliers registered and start doing business with them - its hard to implement. Its really hard to get a new su