Skip to main content

Should you invest in Spend analysis efforts in these bad times?

This is a common question that I see people asking in the industry. The next question usually they ask - I already have my data in good shape - why should I pay for cleansing it.

My question to all these answers is - YOU DONT KNOW HOW IS YOUR DATA.

Why I say that? Because while I am playing with lot of enterprises data in last 5 years i come to know from interactions with customer or people who are maintaining the data this fact. Especially if there are multiple departments handling all kind of data and they dont have a cohesive mechanism to deal with the data as a single form of truth.

Now whatever be the reason for your company - its indeed true that data is not in a good shape that it should be.

How it effects - you dont have visibility towards your spend properly / by commodities / by supplier groups / by geographies or by negotiating power that you are carrying and last one is risk that you are maintaining.

To get this visbility you need a dashboard which gives you analysis power. To get a dahsboard you need data standardized, normalized and enriched classified so dahsboard shows correct reports.

To get normalization, classification task done you need a process or product or provider who provides these services rather than bulding any of these at your end. An here the debate starts - who, how much and when, what ?

I start my day by looking at lot of web posts, blogs and news where people tell you horrible stories about hard days, saving money tips and spend analysis, innvovations in sourcing, optimization and what not. Everybody is telling you that you need to analyze your spend and how one product is good than other product to do this. Here are my two cents -

First - Its your spend and your sourcing data. So there is no readymade packaged tool or product that understands your data end to end. So whoever is saying its fully automated solution is telling a lie. What you need to buy is a packaged process - whether its a driven by a expert team or driven by a software tool. The process is more important.

How do you decide that one process is better that other process for classification? there are few parameters to decide. Most important is how that process looks at your data. I will try to eplain this more in next 2 days.

You can post your comments questions here or mail me on pmendki(at)gmail(dot)com

- Prashant Mendki

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Master Data Management – Product or Process ?

I have 2 SAP systems and I want to fix my material master, Services Master. I want all that data to be clean, standardized, classified, enriched and load it back to my SAP in next 6 months. What do you suggest ? Chris - one of my key client was explaining during a “solution understanding” call. My sales manager Tom, enthusiastically started talking about new version of the MDM platform by ERP company, tools, technologies, product landscape, licenses etc. After 30 minutes of sales pitch, I could see confusion on Chris’s face clearly. He said - but I don’t want to add any new product in my infrastructure for all this. Can you just implement MDM for me without I adding any new software ?   Both are using MDM implementation as a keyword, but in a completely different context. Chris wants to implement MDM as a process while Tom was trying to sell MDM as a new software. Whats the difference ? Lot I will say. MDM as a product – when you sell a   software license to a...

Data Management – Are we all speaking same language ?

I compared the “Data Management” with a story of Elephant and Seven Blind Men in my last blog post http://manageyourdata.blogspot.in/2012/09/data-management-elephant-seven-blind-men.html . I promised to start writing my views about the issues that I heard so far from my customers, consultants and product companies that I worked with. The first issue is confusion with the whole terminology. This seems very basic thing but if all stakeholders in this value chain are not talking same language, same terms with same meaning the initiative is doomed to fail. 5 years back in 2007, when I was working on evaluating a “data mapper” product for a company in California – I realized how complex a terminolgy issue can be. I was at their office for 2 days, going through product screens, meeting high value real architects. The product was really good, nice UI, good functionality – but less appeal in the market. I was talking to marketing head, and he said – Prashant ask me questions about...

Data Management - Terminologies & Definitions

As a third step in my Data Management article series – lets look at commonly used terminology in the domain. Now these are very standard definitions I am quoting from a standard available glossary. The next step – next article would be to explain the relevance and usage of these terminology in business world. E.g. How to look at data standardization in supplier data context or material data context – when it comes to optimizing your procurement processes. That’s next. In my first article in this data management series –I compared data management with the story of elephant and seven blind men. http://manageyourdata.blogspot.in/2012/09/data-management-elephant-seven-blind-men.html The second post is more about – why its important to speak same language when you are running any data management initiative.   http://manageyourdata.blogspot.in/2012/09/data-management-are-we-all-speaking.html Data analysis : Analysis of data is a process of inspecting, cleaning, transfo...